[SGVLUG] Linux Partitioning for Server

Matt Campbell dvdmatt at gmail.com
Mon Apr 6 14:24:28 PDT 2009

Hi Edgar,  no such thing as 'too noob'.

Depending on what your server will be doing you may want the swap partition
on a separate physical drive from your OS and data partitions.

You probably don't want your boot partition on a RAID volume for performance
reasons.  I would think that having your swap on a RAID partition would be
doubly deadly.

I usually create a RAID1 for my boot partition, then take one of the drives
offline.  That way you can bring it back online to sync after an OS update
and have a 'hot spare' laying around if the server OS gets compromised or
corrupted.

Best of luck, this sounds like a fun project!

Matt

  _____