[SGVLUG] IR coupler - http://www.lirc.org/

Emerson, Tom (*IC) Tom.Emerson at wbconsultant.com
Tue Sep 30 17:38:11 PDT 2008

> -----Original Message----- Of Robert Leyva
>
> I ended up making my own from an IR opticoupler, an IC or
> two, and using a serial port
>
> There is also already out there a Linux IR program that is
> open source. Will try to remember and research and follow up.
>
> Take a look at http://www.lirc.org/
>
> Maybe someone has created a USB version, dunno.

I found one that looks like an almost-DIY kit here:

http://www.usbuirt.com/overview.htm

[note that while the primary software they offer is for windows, at the
bottom they indicate they have a library/API for use in Linux]

If you haven't run across it already, you might find this page useful:

http://tuxmobil.org/ir_misc.html

This has a HUGE table showing various devices, manufacturers, etc.,
along with working/notworking/almostworking notes...

Although this is "quite old" (by internet standards -- October 2000)
this page may provide some insights:

http://tldp.org/HOWTO/Lego/index.html

This, of course, talks only about the serial-port version of the
"mindstorms" IR "tower"; newer models contain USB versions I believe.
(and searching the 'net will reveal helpful hints on using this device
under linux)