[SGVLUG] Idea for New PC

Charles Wyble charles at thewybles.com
Thu Sep 25 15:14:32 PDT 2008

Arthur Baldwin wrote:

> Charles,
>

> Perhaps 2 GB of RAM would be enough, but I'm not so sure about a
> Geode.  For starters, I did some testing on Geode based products and
> noticed an overheating problem. Admittedly, this was a few years ago.
>  And how well supported is the Geode as far as Ubuntu Desktop goes?

In my work with a Geode system we ran Xubuntu on it without issue. It's
X86 compatible. No heating problems that I'm aware of.

> > As far as the price is concerned, $400 would be the absolute maximum
> > wholesale cost.  I think this is quite possible for a Taiwanese mfg.
> >

> Possibly. What would the minimum order be?
> Assuming testing was complete...at least 1000

Ok.

That might be a workable price point.

I actually helped create the Indamix product, and we originally used a
Geode processor. Not sure what the final product used as a CPU, as I was
involved fairly early in the development cycle.

So give it another shot and contact the Indamix developer for more info
and resources.