[SGVLUG] home automation -- WAS Re: Idea for New PC

Claude Felizardo cafelizardo at gmail.com
Wed Sep 24 18:43:07 PDT 2008

On Wed, Sep 24, 2008 at 5:04 PM, Matt Campbell <dvdmatt at gmail.com> wrote:
> <snip>
>
>> Applications include:
>> ... *        Home Control Systems
>> [TE] what problem are you solving with this that isn't already
>> addressed by similar dedicated items?  (ok, perhaps the automotive
>> ones...)  Home control systems from X-10 and Smarthome are certainly
>> adequate; internet control and content monitoring is now regularly
>> included in devices from linksys and D-link, not to mention the large
>> number of "home grown"
>> solutions using linux on "old throwaway equipment"
>>
> <snip>
>
> Uh oh.  Tom, have you ever tried to install an X10 or Smarthome system?
> They are pretty pathetic compared with what they should be.  I have nearly
> everything automated.  I put in an X10 system and it sucked.  I ripped it
> all out and installed everything expensively with Smarthome materials
> ($50/light switch).  In the end it cost thousands of dollars and mostly
> works.  Home control, until you get in the 100k range, is all still 1960s
> technology.  We could have a whole lot better if there was competition in
> this marketplace.
>
> I find it very convenient, but after putting in all the money and effort I
> still could live without it if I had to.
>
> Matt

Hey Matt, did you install the newer Insteon stuff from Smarthome or
their older stuff that was X-10 compatible but looked better than the
original stuff sold by X-10.  We did a house remodel in 2001 so all of
my gear is pre-2005 so while Insteon is supposed to be "backwards"
compatible with X-10, from what I understand, you get none of the
advantages unless you replace the controllers.  I've got a bunch of
KeypadLincs and SwitchLincs that work fine but they don't make the old
versions anymore.  To make things really confusing they went and
reused the names for the new line which makes it difficult to find the
old stuff.

What I like about the X-10 stuff is being able to add additional
switches as needed to create a 3-way or even 4-way virtual circuit.
Soon after the remodel, I installed a transmit-only KeypadLinc at the
other end of the living room that we also use to control the holiday
lights.   It uses the carrier line protocol so it's a little sluggish
but it mostly works.   Since then I have added two hard wired slaves
by the family room.  The dining room now has two switches and the main
kitchen light has three.  They react just like a regular switch - no
delays, no having to hit it multiple times due to electrical noise,
they just work.

Now if i can only get my wife to use the correct switch when she's
trying to turn off all the outside lights instead of turning off all
the indoor lights.  This usually happens when one of the kids is in
the bathroom...

claude