[SGVLUG] Idea for New PC

Matt Campbell dvdmatt at gmail.com
Wed Sep 24 17:04:24 PDT 2008

<snip>

> Applications include:
> ... *        Home Control Systems
> [TE] what problem are you solving with this that isn't already
> addressed by similar dedicated items?  (ok, perhaps the automotive
> ones...)  Home control systems from X-10 and Smarthome are certainly
> adequate; internet control and content monitoring is now regularly
> included in devices from linksys and D-link, not to mention the large
> number of "home grown"
> solutions using linux on "old throwaway equipment"

<snip>

Uh oh.  Tom, have you ever tried to install an X10 or Smarthome system?
They are pretty pathetic compared with what they should be.  I have nearly
everything automated.  I put in an X10 system and it sucked.  I ripped it
all out and installed everything expensively with Smarthome materials
($50/light switch).  In the end it cost thousands of dollars and mostly
works.  Home control, until you get in the 100k range, is all still 1960s
technology.  We could have a whole lot better if there was competition in
this marketplace.

I find it very convenient, but after putting in all the money and effort I
still could live without it if I had to.

Matt