[SGVLUG] Annoying problem with automounting DVD drive in Fedora 64 bit only

Arthur Baldwin eengnerd at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 19 14:52:06 PDT 2008

Just thought someone might have run into this problem before.

My i386 version of Fedora 9 at home works fine.
The 64 bit version at work (running on NVidia chipset motherboard) with AMD Athlon 64 bit processor quits automounting the DVD burner (only one drive in the machine) after installing my favorite development packages and updating all the stuff.  All of the CD burning packages say something like "no CD drive present".  The drive is a SATA DVD burner.  BIOS lists it as:

HL-DT-ST DVD+/-RW GSA-H73N

The machine is a Dell Inspiron 531 (a fairly fast desktop).

Arthur