[SGVLUG] learning linux admin

Rae Yip rae.yip at gmail.com
Thu Sep 11 11:35:18 PDT 2008

You mentioned books were no help. If your friend *can* read books,
then I recommend the classic guide:

http://www.amazon.com/UNIX-System-Administration-Handbook-3rd/dp/0130206016

SAGE also has some useful reading:

http://sage.org/pubs/

The monthly meeting provides a forum for questions like "How do I do X
in Linux?", that might be more personal than the mailing list. Topics
at Burger Continental also tend to range over work in system
administration, or at least can be steered that way.

I'm not saying he'll pick up everything he needs to know from going to
meetings, but it provides a way for us to assess what he knows and
provide direction for his further self-study.

-Rae.

P.S. I would warn that sysadmining is jack-of-all-trades sort of job,
which often requires some amount of physical work, unless you're good
enough that you can justify your time being spent on other things. I
don't know how that plays with having a disability.

P.P.S. Being a webmaster is like being a sysadmin, without the
physical responsibilities.