[SGVLUG] All your base are belong -- uh, waitaminute, we didn't really mean that...

Emerson, Tom (*IC) Tom.Emerson at wbconsultant.com
Thu Sep 4 17:29:57 PDT 2008

>From another forum, I got "diverted" to reading about Google's new
browser called "Chrome"

[uhhh, isn't that the underlying tech for firefox?  Apparently not...]

Seems there was a slip-up in legal in which the "standard EULA" for
their "services" [gmail, picassa, etc.] were included in the EULA for
the browser, and people actually /read/ the EULA and called Google on
the carpet for it -- 24 hours later that section of the EULA was
retracted [and retroactively, so those millions of windows users who
clicked-without-really-reading-it are covered too]

How do I know this is limited to "windows users who..."?  Well, for one
the Mac and Linux ports aren't ready yet :)

But it is released under a [BSD] open source license, and there are some
reports already in about it working semi-natively under "wine"  [but
since wine's dlls for SSL are "just stubs", "https://" addresses don't
work]

But hey, it's still a week until our general meeting -- perhaps by then
the port will be out and someone from our group will have installed it
and put it through a few paces...