[SGVLUG] Interesting Problem (1tb drive showing up as 80GB)

Charles Wyble charles at thewybles.com
Thu Sep 4 07:20:07 PDT 2008

Hello all,

So the subject pretty much says it all. :)

I recently purchased 2 Seagate SATA 1 TB drives and upon installing them
in my system (Acer Aspire desktop - AMD64 4 gigs of ram ~2 years old)
they show up (both in the bios and to Ubuntu (not that the OS would see
them as different sizes at least not on modern drives if I understand
correctly)) as 80GB. I replaced 2 500GB drives in the system which
worked fine without needing any special jumper settings etc.

Google doesn't produce any useful results with various search terms. To
many product sites...... *mumbles about the semantic web promise and
kicks brain dead search engine *

Any ideas? Do I need to upgrade my bios to support 1TB drives?

--
Charles Wyble (818) 280 - 7059
http://charlesnw.blogspot.com