[SGVLUG] Devsig: project ideas? [and calendar]

Emerson, Tom (*IC) Tom.Emerson at wbconsultant.com
Tue Sep 2 14:23:48 PDT 2008

This is somewhat FYI for most of you (*), but for those of you deeply
interested in continuing the devsig sessions, this is important:

Every year in JULY we need to fill out an application /with dates/ that
we wish to use the room at La Pintaresca -- I thought I passed that
along to John, but I might have neglected to tell him to put in the
dates (**).  Ausgust wasn't a problem, (since there was no actual
conflict) but I missed that meeting and got a call from the library
asking for the rest of the dates for the next year.  So, whomever
attends the meeting this week, please keep it in mind to make sure we
get this "on their calendar" so we don't get bumped.

So administrative stuff out of the way, what do we want to accomplish as
a group?  I've kicked out ideas from time to time, and sometimes we get
some neat stuff out of it, but lately we've been pretty stagnant [part
of why I didn't bother with the august meeting...]  In any case, the
idea I want to pursue "as a group" is using google's "OpenSocial API" --
this lets you create social-network-neutral "applications" that can
appear on facebook, orcut, myspace, and so on.  I have a neat idea for
something that will be truly cross-platform -- even though these "apps"
tend to be network-neutral, most of the "game" apps are still limited to
players within the same network -- I've got an idea where players can be
from diferent networks at the same time...

Tom

(*) normally I'd only send a note like this to just the Devsig list,
however since the lists have undergone a migration to a new server, I'm
not sure if this list migrated properly yet.  Though perhaps a better
reason would be that with actual attendance so "low", I don't know how
many people even monitor the "devsig" address to begin with...

(**) As with the main meeting, I've stepped away from actively "leading"
the devsig group for now -- John Slayton is there every month, so I've
asked him to "volunteer" as the de-facto leader for a while...