[SGVLUG] EC2 Beginners Workshop followup

Eric Hammond ehammond at thinksome.com
Fri Oct 10 09:24:15 PDT 2008

Just a note to thank everybody for coming out to SGVLUG last night (some
of you driving for longer than the presentation time) and thanks for all
the participation and questions during the EC2 beginners workshop.

 From the discussion, you probably got a glimpse that there is much more
to EC2 and the other Amazon Web Services than the tiny bit we walked
through.  I welcome questions and further discussion in public forums
like this list.  The EC2 forum and EC2 Ubuntu group (below) also have
lots of helpful folks if you run into problems.

Here are some resources for folks who want to follow up:

   Amazon Web Services
   http://aws.amazon.com

   Amazon EC2
   http://aws.amazon.com/ec2/

   Elasticfox - EC2 Firefox plugin
   http://ec2firefox.notlong.com

   Amazon EC2 Forum - great for asking questions or reporting problems
   http://ec2forum.notlong.com

   Some of the public AMIs available for EC2
   http://ec2ami.notlong.com

Other "getting started" resources:

   Amazon's EC2 Getting Started Guide (command line)
   http://ec2gsg.notlong.com

   Tutorial: Quick Start Guide with EC2 on Windows
   http://ec2guide-windows.notlong.com

   Tutorial: Starting Amazon EC2 with Mac OS X
   http://ec2guide-mac.notlong.com

   Video: Setting up and Running Amazon EC2 from Windows
   http://ec2video.notlong.com

Stuff I support:

   Ubuntu and Debian AMIs for EC2
   http://alestic.com

   EC2 Ubuntu group
   http://groups.google.com/group/ec2ubuntu

   EC2 Debian group
   http://groups.google.com/group/ec2debian

The end of this video is priceless:

   http://www.weebls-stuff.com/toons/magical+trevor/

This was the first time I've run an EC2 beginners workshop like this.
I've already received some great feedback about things that could be
improved with the information provided for similar sessions in the
future.  Further comments are welcomed.

--
Eric Hammond
ehammond at thinksome.com