[SGVLUG] Data/Disk Recovery Services

Emerson, Tom (*IC) Tom.Emerson at wbconsultant.com
Tue Nov 18 14:02:29 PST 2008

For the do-it-yourselfer, you might want to look into FORENSIC data
recovery tools -- I've posted in the past about an open-source tool that
I've used to recover the contents of a "corrupted" memory card (camera
photos)

However, in that case the device was still readable, it's just some
directory pointers or the "superblock" was wiped, so neither windows nor
Linux would "mount" it.  From you're description of what you're looking
for, you indicated that the DVD's were "damaged", but you haven't said
to what extent -- are they physically damaged to the point where the
drive won't recognize the media?

(and/or is the damage just scratches, or physical cracks?)