[SGVLUG] Fw: FYI: Meetup.com & PRIVACY isn't what you might think...

Chris Louden chris at chrislouden.com
Sat May 24 08:42:34 PDT 2008

On Fri, May 23, 2008 at 6:45 PM, Tom Emerson <osnut at pacbell.net> wrote:
> The moderator of a "meetup" group that I've joined recently posted a warning
> message about the meetup site and how your "privacy" might not be as
> protected as you might think.  The actual message that was posted was quite
> long, and as the "group" might be considered "dubious" in certain circles
> [think "2600", but for non-techies...], I've been asked to excise even the
> references to the group itself.

That statement is not entirely true. I previously used Meetup and was
an Organizer. There are several settings that can be enabled to
prevent non-members of the group from viewing content. Specifically
making the group private. The protected areas are then not able to be
searched (forums, polls, etc.). However I do not recall if profiles
was included or not.

I recall sending out a similar message to all my members and asked if
they wanted me to change the settings to protect their privacy.
Overall consensus was no, leave it as is.