[SGVLUG] Samba performance issue

Matt Campbell dvdmatt at gmail.com
Wed May 21 20:16:18 PDT 2008

Hi Dan,

I can write a simple program on a Linux or Windows client machine to make
simple random file requests and time the responses, but would this really be
indicative of streaming performance?  I could open a large media file
(larger than RAM on server and client combined) and request block after
block and graph response times and dropped blocks.

What type of testing do you think should be done to deliver a useful
benchmark?

Matt