[SGVLUG] [OT]Hybrids and trains (was fuel prices and the dollar)

Matt Campbell dvdmatt at gmail.com
Thu May 15 11:53:35 PDT 2008

Hi Tom, to answer your question read 'DOT approvals'.

The good high energy density batteries have this nasty habit of exploding
when punctured in an accident.  I heard a story last year that a
manufacturer demoed a new battery design for auto use at a tradeshow.  They
dropped an iron bar across the terminals.  Everyone ducked for cover.  Once
it was clear that the battery was not going to detonate the manufacturer
drove a spike through it.  The battery just smoldered.

In the next 4 or 5 years we should see DOT approved high capacity batteries
available on the market.  Right now they're still R&D.

Remember when Zoe got ahold of one of Andy's helicopter LiPos?  The
explosion was heard for blocks around and *seven* engines responded to the
calls.  Luckily Zoe just received burns to her face and mouth, she's
completely recovered now, but hasn't given up her habit of chewing on
things....

Matt