[SGVLUG] [OT]Hybrids and trains (was fuel prices and the dollar)

Matt Campbell dvdmatt at gmail.com
Thu May 15 09:03:33 PDT 2008

[snip]
> > > 'They also waste a lot of energy converting the gasoline motor
> > > power to electricity, charging a battery, and then withdrawing
> > > energy from the battery'.
> > Ok, this was an eye opener for me.  What I found was 'The
> > coulometric charging efficiency of nickel metal hydride batteries is
> > typically 66%, meaning that you must put 150 amp hours into the
> > battery for every 100 amp hours you get out.'.
> Do you have a reference for this?  Sounds reasonable.
[snip]

I found that reference here: http://www.powerstream.com/NiMH.htm
But on further reading I am not sure it's comprehensive or accurate.

Ovonic has come out with new NiMH batteries rated at 93% efficiency for
cars:
http://www.ovonic.com/ne_ecd_ovonics_press_releases_more.cfm?pressrelease_id
=274

With a nice interview and photo session here:
http://www.nrel.gov/vehiclesandfuels/energystorage/archive_nimh.html

Matt