[SGVLUG] [OT]Hybrids and trains (was fuel prices and the dollar)

Dan Kegel dank at kegel.com
Wed May 14 22:09:35 PDT 2008

On Wed, May 14, 2008 at 9:37 PM, David Lawyer <dave at lafn.org> wrote:
>> Yes, all else being equal, a non-hybrid could be driven more efficiently
>> under approximately constant-speed conditions, due to its lower weight.
>> Under real driving conditions, however, hybrids do better.
>
> I was thinking of real driving conditions with a non-hybrid doing a
> lot of coasting, and pulse and glide.

It seems you want to change drivers' behavior.
Many drivers are leadfoots like me; we loves our
acceleration, and we brake a lot.  Drivers like that
will benefit quite a bit from regenerative braking,
and would not benefit from your suggestion that
we drive more sensibly, because we just aren't made
like that :-)
- Dan