[SGVLUG] [OT]Hybrids and trains (was fuel prices and the dollar)

Emerson, Tom (*IC) Tom.Emerson at wbconsultant.com
Wed May 14 13:16:49 PDT 2008

> -----Original Message----- Of Michael Proctor-Smith
> On Wed, May 14, 2008 at 10:30 AM, Mike Rubel
> <mrubel at galcit.caltech.edu> wrote:
> > [David Lawyer wrote]
> >> Efficient driving will mean doing a lot of coasting but
> >> coasting in neutral is illegal.
> >
> > In which states is coasting in neutral illegal?  When driving a
> > manual, I coast when possible, especially down long hills.  I never
> > realized I was breaking the law.
>
> Coasting down hill in neutral is not illegal, but coasting
> downhill with the engine off is illegal in California in the
> past someone pointed that out to David. David's purposed
> driving method involves surging to high speed then coasting
> to a lower speed with the engine off.

Actually, you're both right -- in /some/ states, it is illegal to
"coast" downhill in neutral -- a google search of "coasting in neutral"
should reveal plenty of discussions with related pointers to relevant
laws.  However, regardless of the /legality/ of doing such, the
stupidity factor outweighs the gas-savings margin byt quite a bit [and
again, those same discussions will point out why -- though in a nutshell
it is (a) harder on the transmission and/or brake, and (b) you are less
prepared to avoid an accident]  Some of these discussions even go so far
as to claim that coasting in neutral uses MORE gas than not (there's
that "statistics" lie again...)

> >> As for trains vs. airplanes, it turns out that they are
> about equally
> >> energy efficient, and we don't save energy by taking the train.
> >
> > That's simply too strong a statement, it depends on a lot of
> > variables, including ...

Having endured an 11-hour flight from Frankfurt only two days ago, I'd
have MUCH rather spent those 11 hours on a train :)  Remind me again
when we'll have trains that get from Los Angeles to Frankfurt in 11
hours, non-stop?