[SGVLUG] interesting, border inspection issues

Tom Emerson osnut at pacbell.net
Mon May 12 20:24:27 PDT 2008

Well, I'm back in the states with my laptop intact :)

Turns out this trip didn't even raise an eyebrow for the computer (though I did have to open my bag and unwrap my camera enough to verify it was a camera)  thinking back on it, I think I know why: I first flew from Berlin to Frankfurt, then to the U.S.  As such, the "outbound" customs/security inspection was the only time my bag was opened, and this was in Berlin.  Since this was not an international flight, the restrictions were not as severe (I didn't have to take off my shoes, for example)

Inbound customs was looking at the fact there were hundreds of people in line, mostly foreign visitors (by the time I got through, 5 of the 6 "queues" were designated "visitor" queues, and only 1 as "u.s. citizen") so with nothing significant to declare, I was in and out in under a minute.

I *do* have some very interesting pictures to share -- most notably, the price of gasoline -- 1.40+ EURO per LITRE -- at the exchange rate we got (something slightly worse than $1.60 per euro), this works out to about $9/gallon ...