[SGVLUG] LA wi-fi

charles at thewybles.com charles at thewybles.com
Sun May 4 09:03:54 PDT 2008

Well I have long stated that just providing "last mile" access is a loosing proposition.

One would be competing with very large and powerful incumbents.

The goal of the southern California wireless project is to provide a reliable, competively priced service delievery network that is owned and operated by the southern California technical community.

We want the community to build and profit from revenue generesting medium to high margin services such as traditional "triple play" (VoIP/iptv/internet), mobile commerce, and location aware advertising.

I have been working on a business plan which emphasizes these points and what the roi is.

Needless to say, the (major) problems aren't technical (many large networks exist and with proper planning and deployment they can be quite low overhead), they are related to sustainability.

Please see wiki.socalwifi.org and join our mailing lists on sourceforge for more.

Thanks for the link John!

Please everyone feel free to give libereal amounts of feedback, either here or on the sourceforge lists.

Charles