[SGVLUG] Reasons why people are leaving Yahoo...

Chris Nolan chris at invert.com
Tue Mar 25 17:18:16 PST 2008

I am a former Yahoo but I left over 18 months ago.  My brother and
many friends still work there (though most of them have/will give
notice soon).

I must first say that BINC employs some of the nastiest recruiters
around.  One of them cold-called me and sent me a very nasty email
when I told him I wasn't interested.  Their leader using words like
"BULLS**T" in the company's blog shows that the incompetence goes all
the way up the ladder.

I digress.  Back to your curiosity.

Points 1 through 4 are very accurate.  People from my former team were
impacted by the layoffs.

Point 5 is not true for everyone.  I wore way too many hats at Yahoo.

6 is spot on.  7 is as well.  Valued employees were offered MASSIVE
RSU (restricted share unit, the new stock option) offers with very
short vesting periods, some around 9 months.  Folks are walking away
from them and taking offers elsewhere because they fear the RSUs will
be worthless later in the year.

8 and 9 are also spot on.  I worked so many hours at that place it is
silly.  They did give me bonuses and higher pay but it wasn't worth
the time away from my family.