[SGVLUG] FW: Hard drive question

Matt Campbell dvdmatt at gmail.com
Wed Mar 19 13:02:00 PST 2008

Thanks Claude,

I am unfortunately using MS Outlook and I haven't figured out how to
properly quote received email so I'm going to top post for the moment.

I ran a number of DOS hard drive utilities including Partition Magic,
Norton, and three specific hard drive repair utilities.  They couldn't see
the drive but did list all the non-USB drives on the system.

The box I plugged the USB drive into to run fdisk for you was my family
media server.  It has a bunch of drives, but the USB drive didn't show up in
the fdisk list.  (Of course, it is not a /dev/sd* drive ;).  I couldn't
easily locate it among the /dev/usb* device.

I'll remove the drive from the USB case sometime next week and see if I can
reformat it using one of the manufacturer specific low level DOS utilities I
have.

Thanks again for the help,

Matt

[SNIP, SNIP]

> I tried to see the drive with the low level utilities, but as it is in a
USB
> case it was not recognized.

What low level utilities did you try?

[SNIP, SNIP, SNIP]

How many drives do you have in this box?  Is this some kind of
external drive box?  Is it all accessed by USB or are some of these in
the same box as the computer?

I'm assuming /dev/sda, the 251 GB drive as reported by fdisk is the
drive in question.  I don't see any signs of a FAT or NTFS or DOS
partition.

btw, sorry for asking for fdisk -l /dev/sd?  I really meant to say
/dev/xxx and substitute the appropriate device forgetting that the
question mark would mean everything.

claude