NTFS access -- was Re: [SGVLUG] FW: Hard drive question

Claude Felizardo cafelizardo at gmail.com
Wed Mar 19 10:04:00 PST 2008

On Tue, Mar 18, 2008 at 10:59 AM, Matt Campbell <dvdmatt at gmail.com> wrote:>

> P.S.  I already have ntfs-3g installed, it does not allow me to format an
> NTFS filesystem from Linux.
>
> Matt

[SNIP]

Hey, I wasn't aware of these different programs.  I don't like
installing everything as it makes it harder to know what you really
need.  Looks like i only have ntfsprogs and libntfs installed on my
Mandrake machines which explains why I can only mount NTFS as
read-only.  Wish i had known this as I had just reformatted a spare
drive from NTFS to FAT32 a few days ago so I could write to it from
Linux.  I'll have to try the other programs when I get a chance.

Do I just need to install dkms-ntfs or do I need ntfs-config as well?
 Does anyone use ntfs-3g?  How stable are these things?

claude