[SGVLUG] FW: Hard drive question

Claude Felizardo cafelizardo at gmail.com
Mon Mar 17 10:49:38 PST 2008

On Mon, Mar 17, 2008 at 11:03 AM, Matt Campbell <dvdmatt at gmail.com> wrote:

> This was sent a couple of weeks ago, but was rejected by the server, anyone
> have any suggestions?
>
> Matt

I really don't like external USB drives because you can't check the
status of the drive.  It could be getting soft errors until it runs
out of spare sectors then it's toast.

First guess, I'd say windows doesn't like the partition table.  What
does fdisk -l /dev/sd? report?

Using Linux, you could delete all the partitions and then create one
big partition and format it and have it check for bad sectors.  Use
FAT32.  On my desktop here at work, I use partition id 0x0b which
fdisk reports as "W95 FAT32".  Largest file size for FAT32 is 4 GB I
think.

Otherwise, you could use Linux to wipe out the partition table or
possibly create the NTFS partition but let windows do the formatting.

However its sounds like the drive may have issues.  If possible, I'd
put it into a desktop and try and use spinrite to perform a low level
format.  Catch is it requires DOS/windoze and you must have a valid
partition table.  I've used it to bring a marginal disk back to life
but the drive would usually fail within a few years.

I also used to use partition magic 8 (yet another dos/windoze tool)
and it works fine for FAT32 and ext2/3 partitions but it has issues
with NFTS.  I really wish they'd update that tool but there's been no
updates since symantec/norton bought them out.

If anyone has used comparable Linux tools, I'd like to hear about it.

claude