[SGVLUG] Eerie (new?) feature of google maps -- street-view...

Christopher Smith x at xman.org
Sat Mar 1 15:45:00 PST 2008

Michael Proctor-Smith wrote:
> Adobe has not released 64bit flash on any OS, And states that Flash
> implementation is very 32-bit specific. People need to stop
> complaining about no x86_64 linux support, until there is 64bit flash
> for any other OS.

Folks can and should complain about whatever bothers them. :-)

I find it barely credible that Adobe's flash implementation is 32-bit
specific. Sure the JIT is probably, and I'm sure they use video codecs
carefully optimized for 32-bit. Most codecs are already available in a
64-bit form, and the JIT is a VM for Javascript. At the very least they
could simply use the ECMAscript engine in Windows, and it wouldn't take
too much work to help the folks at Mozilla get their open sourced VM
(Tamarin) working on 64-bit platforms.

Frankly, I just think it isn't that much of a priority, and it makes
sense: aside from compatibility with 64-bit browsers, there isn't really
an upside to flash being 64-bit. In reality, nobody runs 64-bit browsers
that might want Flash except Linux users.

--Chris