FW: [SGVLUG] wikipedia datacenter, firefox3 uses less mem, + a deal on ram

Matt Campbell dvdmatt at gmail.com
Fri Jun 27 14:54:23 PDT 2008

Thanks Michael,

That was a rhetorical question, not really focused on this particular
problem.  Better stated it may have read:

'Why are people still designing for 32 bit systems?'
or 'With the available speed of our current and future hardware coupled with
the abstract nature of most operating systems why are we limiting ourselves
to small addresses spaces?'

I just have seen the same thing come up again and again, the 640k memory
limit (nobody will ever have more than 640k in their computer!) etc., etc..

I understand that having a translation layer in place will slow down
access/induce higher overhead in fast operations like memory access, but
most current systems already use a number of such layers.

Matt

[snip]