[SGVLUG] OT: reminder for those who went to MS Heroes event togetSQL NOW

Charles N Wyble charles at thewybles.com
Wed Jun 4 16:11:16 PDT 2008

Chris Louden wrote:

> How can the availability of an open source SQL Server be accelerated
> so these MS inducements to relapse lose their appeal?
>
> > Perhaps if Sun did a widespread marketing campaign on MySQL. Of course
> > DBAs are a specific group. If not like they could just put commercials
> > on TV like Apple does.

Um.... let's see. Both Oracle and Cisco do ads for there products during
prime time. So yes. They could put commercials on TV. :)

However MySQL isn't really an alternative to SQL Server. Again as I
mentioned in my previous e-mail many people immediately jump to the
conclusion the open source db they know about (MySQL) as a viable
alternative. Its not. MySQL is great for many things don't get me wrong.
I use it personally and for places I work.

However when it comes to data warehousing/reporting etc, Bizgres  (based
on PostGRESQL) is a far better solution.  MySQL works great as a data
mart in many cases however.

Oracle is way to expensive and the support is absolutely terrible.

So it really comes down to Microsoft SQL/Reporting Services  vs
BizGres/GreenPlum.

It depends on  whether you want a packaged solution or just a database
engine and build your own reporting solution.

My preference is to build a custom data warehouse system around a solid
database platform. Some of the reporting/front end systems are pretty
nice though.  It all depends on what you need.

Charles