[SGVLUG] wireless effect

David Lawyer dave at lafn.org
Wed Jul 30 11:46:03 PDT 2008

On Tue, Jul 29, 2008 at 10:10:18AM -0700, qun li wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am a little wary about sitting too close to the  broadband router
> ( ATT DSL) and being bombarded by the radio emission. Can the
> wireless function be turned off?
[snip]

Yes, there is no point in needlessly exposing yourself to RF
radiation, although we are all exposed somewhat.  The US exposure
limits were very lax, allowing high exposures, while the standards in
the former Soviet Union were much lower (safer).  But I haven't
checked the situation recently.

Also exposures to magnetic fields from AC power lines are claimed to
cause cancer, etc. but the real cause might be due to the RF that
flows along these lines, partly due to RF surges when switching.

			David Lawyer