[SGVLUG] capture a live computer

Emerson, Tom (*IC) Tom.Emerson at wbconsultant.com
Tue Jul 22 09:32:57 PDT 2008

It all boils down to your level of paranoia and the value of the data on
the workstation.  When watching the first video and he said "in a moment
I'll show you how to deal with a computer plugged directly into the
wall", I thought the solution would be the vampire tap [pierced power
cable], so I was a little surprised at the solution.

It does have some pitfalls, however -- all it would take is a 1/4" wide
strip of [clear] tape around the base of the plug prongs (i.e., where
the clamp would make contact...)  If you're more paranoid than that, a
normally-open pushbutton on the bottom of the case itself would do the
trick -- picking up the case would open the circuit, and... [actually,
the motherboard's bios may help here -- there are some that support a
"case entry detection" switch, i.e., where somone has opened the case
itself, which can initiate a shutdown]

If you have a reliable (?) GPS signal within the building, a usb
receiver inside the case and a little routine to shut the computer down
if the location changes by more than a certain amount (say maybe 1/4
mile) -- you need this as the GPS system may have some built-in "jitter"
[military paranoia...] so "standing still" the location will still
fluctuate by 50-100 feet or more

Except for the last, all of these ideas I have are "once-funny's" --
once an investigator trips the shutdown mechanism, it doesn't take much
effort to figure out how to re-counter it on the next box -- the vampire
tap will counter everything from the isolated-outlet power strip through
a foreign plug/wall-wart/taped prong trap.  For a case switch, a stiff
piece of cardboard should do it [back of a pad of paper...]

But then, you need go back to my first statement -- "...level of
paranoia... Data ON THE WORKSTATION" -- if networked, and the data is on
remote drives, you raise the possibility that they'll seize/steal every
workstation but not be able to access the server itself.

[oh, and do they have a counter-technique for detecting you've unplugged
the network cable?]