[SGVLUG] Off-topic - Hans Reiser article - murder trial

matti mathew_2000 at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 10 14:39:14 PDT 2008

Hi,

> This sort of savage crime is the reason the state has the
> power of the
> sword in the first place.

typically these sorts of murders are crimes
of passion, ones which as horrible as they
are, I doubt the killers would be inclined
to kill random people ( like the snipers
Lee Boyd Malvo and John Allen Muhammad )

somehow I have the feeling that appropriate
intervention to reduce the tension in their
divorce would have prevented such a tragedy.

honestly, I think there should be a better
way for our to handle divorce.

imho we should reserve the death penalty
to those who are serial/mass murders and
the like. (my european friends still think
that would be savage of society.. )

from a resource point of view, the death
penalty costs MORE than life. In this
particular case, I can see arrangements
made that would provide greater benefits
to society by actually having Hans work
while in prison. Yeah, I know, weird to think
of "software" or anything intellectual made
in prison. But indeed there are a number
of books written by prisoners

http://www.prisonpolicy.org/bookstore.html

inventions by prisoners
http://www.inventhelp.com/thinking-inside-the-box-incarcerated-innovation.asp