[SGVLUG] How Open Source Projects Survive Poisonous People

Sean O'Donnell sean at seanodonnell.com
Tue Jul 1 10:42:34 PDT 2008

...and we all know... If anyone would know how an open source project
could survive poisonous people, it would definitely be the people who
(reinvented the version control wheel and) developed subversion. ;-p

*rimshot*

matti wrote:
> As I continue my google io conference education,
> there are times I encounter a good video to pass
> along... here is one
>
> best
> matti
>
> ps - there's at least one thing I probably would
> do slightly different than they recommend, ...

...like using cvs instead of subversion, is one thing that comes to mind. =p

> --
>
> How Open Source Projects Survive Poisonous People
> Brian Fitzpatrick and Ben Collins-Sussman (Google)
>
> Every project runs into people who are selfish, uncooperative, and disrespectful. These people can silently poison the atmosphere of a happy developer community. Come learn how to identify these people and peacefully de-fuse them before they derail your project. Told through a series of (often amusing) real-life anecdotes and experiences.
>
> http://sites.google.com/site/io/how-open-source-projects-survive-poisonous-people

Just kidding by the way. Subversion is a great version control system.
It's just annoying watching these guys plug away about it. They did
raise some good issues regarding the topic though, before going into
promo-mode.

Cheers, Matti.