[SGVLUG] GNU Bulletins (old) to give away

David Lawyer dave at lafn.org
Tue Jan 15 23:50:26 PST 2008

I've got several old "GNU's Bulletin" from 1986-1996 with many issues
missing.  I may throw them away since I think they are on the
Internet, at least the first one is (Vol. 1, No.  1, February 1986).
But does this first issue on the Internet show the picture of Stallman in
armor riding on the back of the GNU beast?

On p. 11, I read that "ls" and "make" are finished, but they are still
programming "diff", "tar", and "find".  The GNU system was to be only
for large computers like mainframes and wouldn't work (even if it was
finished --but the OS remained vaporware) on the PC's of that era
although it doesn't exactly say that.  What all this shows is before
Linux, GNU was developing most of the utility programs that were later
used by the original Linux and thus the name GNU/Linux recognizes that
fact.  Without these programs (including the compiler), Linux wouldn't
have functioned in 1992 when it first became useable.

Anyone want these?  Email me off list if you do.

			David Lawyer