[SGVLUG] Status of GRUB problem with Fedora 8

Emerson, Tom (*IC) Tom.Emerson at wbconsultant.com
Fri Jan 11 10:57:43 PST 2008

Aha... (sort of...)

> -----Original Message----- Of Matthew Campbell
> [...]
> Upon reboot I got an error that filesystems failed to mount
> and I was dumped into a read only root.
>
> I couldn't figure out how to get the root writable so I
> booted onto CD and commented out the raid entry from the
> /etc/fstab file.  With a power cycle the system booted up fine.
>
> I created a new /dev/md0 and restored the entry to the fstab.
> Rebooting stopped again with the same problem.

I suspect the this is same problem as we've been discussing, just the
"particulars" are different -- you may be missing the "MD" (raid) driver
from your kernel (it was probably built as a loadable module rather than
"directly compiled in")

> Booting off CD again I made the FS noauto, but on reboot the
> same problem happened so I had to reboot from the CD once again.

It sounds like the "noauto" flag was ignored (that WOULD be a bug...)

> Now I have commented out the fstab line, but each time I
> reboot I have to rebuild the md device and mount the RAID fs
> by hand.  This just can't be right.  It's too late to keep
> bashing at this for now.

Have you considered a startup "service/script" for this?  (in
/etc/init.d/<runlevel> or wherever Fedora puts stuff like this)