[SGVLUG] Eee PC by Asus - reading great press on it

Zack, James JZack at unex.ucla.edu
Tue Jan 8 13:00:24 PST 2008

I have personally held one before and plinked with it for about 10
minutes.  The keyboard is tiny, but then so is the screen and the entire
unit.  We have one on order here for classroom technical support, and
our Legal program certificate students will all be getting one with
thier tuition, as well as PDF copies of all their textbooks starting
next year (I think).  They are piloting it shortly... all I know is that
there is an order for about 50 of them in that department.

These units will replace the need for students to have little hand carts
to carry their books to class each day.  Should be exciting, and I can
probably report more on it once we actually get one in our hands to play
with.

We ordered the bigger model, the students are getting the one with less
memory on it.  This isn't a machine I would want to work a lot on, but
for field work it's ideal.  It's solid state (no moving parts), and
looked fairly durable (the rep from Asus threw it across the room).

I can't speak to performance but it seemed reasonable in the UI for
responsiveness.

-JZ