[SGVLUG] Grep "quickie" needed -- searching for hi-bit characters

Emerson, Tom (*IC) Tom.Emerson at wbconsultant.com
Fri Jan 4 16:58:17 PST 2008

Ahhh -- I think I found it -- "grep"'s man page mentions-by-example a
couple of escaped codes, such as \b for "an empty string" and \w as a
synonym for [[:alnum:]], but little else (other than the fact you need
"\" to escape well-known meta characters).  I had to look at a REGEX
page to find that "\x##", where "#" is a HEXADECIMAL digit, will look
for the character based on it's ascii [byte] value.

So I think the "range" of [\80-\ff] would cover all hi-bit values