[SGVLUG] Grep "quickie" needed -- searching for hi-bit characters

Emerson, Tom (*IC) Tom.Emerson at wbconsultant.com
Fri Jan 4 15:57:36 PST 2008

I've got an odd one here -- I know how I'd do this on an HP using some
proprietary tools I've used for the last 15 years, but this is on a *nix
system so I need to know how to do this using grep.

We have some files that were transferred from one machine to another
[one of which was a PC], and somewhere in the process, it appears that
some local-language/"multi-byte" characters got translated to
multiple-ascii-bytes, which in turn buggered up the record length.
Fortunately, these are easy to detect visually as the new values for
each "byte" of the character are between 128 and 255 and generally look
like "line noise" when cat'd to the screen.  Unfortunately, the files
involved are thousands of lines long, so a pure visual search is out of
the question.

What would I use as a regex to find characters with a byte (ascii) value