Recovery CD - Re: [SGVLUG] OT: MS notebook HD died/errors need to get MS OS CD

matti mathew_2000 at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 19 22:18:53 PST 2008

Hi,

YES!!! One should definitely burn a recovery CD as soon
as you get a new system... CDs appear to be no longer
given with systems (what a pisser eh?)

So, here's the experience with HP on attempting to
get a HD recover CD....

1) Look on website... dug about a bit and didn't
easily find it.. figured I would call the 800
number....

2) Numerous prompts and responses later I get to
HP India with "Anna"... not her real name, but
it's good enough for rich americans....

Anna asks me Questions.. including the model
and S/N of the product... and my name...

then tells me the system is just out of warranty
and that i would cost me to get to someone to
answer my question "What does it take to get
the original media/OS CD"

What? I'm not impressed... I just want to know
what it will take to get it so I can pass the info
along.

She insists it will cost me $$$ and asks for a CC
number so I can talk to someone...
(who I am certain will ask for more $$$ .. )

I ask for her supervisor...

quiet...

she returns and again tries to get me to pay...

I insist on her supervisor...

Finally after a wait I get her supervisor,.. who
has a real indian name... GOOD, finally!

So, finally I find out the info I was looking
forward to after discussing the issues for
awhile...

$25-$35 for a recovery CD...

ok... NOW, what number do I need to have the
owner/authorized person call to order these...

OH! they need to start from the beginning!!!

and what is this,... THE UNIT IS NOW REGISTERED
TO ME!!!!!

WTF!

Turns out lovely anna registered me as the owner,
because SHE HAD to have a name to process the call
ticket... and she didn't tell me that she was
going to register me as the owner!!

ARGHHH!!!

Ok, so just remove my name...

CAN'T!?!?

What do you mean that I have to NOW call you
back with the owner to have the information
of ownership changed?

Do you mean I can simply goto a store, pickup
the S/Ns of a product and call it in and become
the registered owner???? (think of the reduced
warranties and headaches)

WTF kind of screwed up system is this...
certainly some of the bright Indian Engineers
could have designed a better system....

OH! Turns out some STupid Americans made up
this system!!!

Bone Heads!!!

3) Now that I know what to look for I find that
you can order this from the download software
(be very careful of the model.. as even tho
it may look like a model X2000.. on the back
there is another tag which is really the model
number you want.. say.. X2451us )

the website.. here's the fun part
DOES NOT allow separate shipto and billto info!!!

THUS you have to have it shipped to the billing
address!!!! Works great if there's a mismatch
(a lot of small biz people I know use PO boxes
and work out of their apartments.. or sometimes
you want the CDs shipped directly to another office
or the tech guy...)

ARGHHHH..

well, at least the CDs were cheaper via the web...

$16-30 depending on the shipping method.

Well, the journey continues.

cheers
matti