[SGVLUG] Meeting Thur 2/14, plus some SCALE notes..

matti mathew_2000 at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 11 12:59:52 PST 2008

Hi!

Remember folks we have a SGVLUG meeting THUR nite!

PLEASE spread the word!!!

February (2/14) 2008: One Laptop Per Child
Time: 7-9pm
Location: 107 Downs at Caltech Campus in Pasadena

Image Chris got his kid an "OLPC" laptop and thinks he can wrestle it
away from him long enough for some "show-n-tell"...

OLPC is the "One Laptop Per Child" initiative, aimed at providing
full-fledged laptop computers to every child in developing nations.
Their goal is for a $100/unit price point, and they are quite close
(actually, the price is about $150)

=== SCALE notes ===

My quick review of SCALE

Great little conference.

I missed Fri, and AM Sat, however I'm very glad I went.
Sat was busy w/numerous evening BOFs, Sun was lighter.

The hotel was nice, and attendance looked good.
(esp Sun)

Some sessions I attended were excellent! A couple
where more like sales presentations, rather frustrating.

I understand that notes will be provided on the SCALE
website for the sessions.

The Large theatre for presentations was very comfortable,
and could hold a lot more, while the smaller rooms
were often packed.

I enjoyed the Expo floor which had a little bit of
everything you maybe interested in.

Parking, there was a parking lot within walking distance
just east of the Westin where they only charge $6!!!
(vs. $20 - voucher = $12 ) That was the trick, as
often the Westin's lot got packed.

Public transportation - TOOK forever, or at least
that was my experience on Sat. The reason.. the
wait for the Westin Shuttle service at LAX. On Sunday
I took the Hilton shuttle and walked...
(Gold line to Union Station, and then the LAX flyer
ran $5.25 and was quick enough.. ) Next time the
trick maybe to take the thrifty car rental shuttle
(adjacent to the Westin)

Picked up enough shirts so I don't have to do any
laundry until Friday ;-}

See you at the Meeting Thur!
matti