[SGVLUG] Off-topic: cool article on electric concept cars

Emerson, Tom (*IC) Tom.Emerson at wbconsultant.com
Thu Feb 7 18:59:30 PST 2008

Well, thank you -- that link touched off a multi-hour foray into this
site:  http://www.teslamotors.com/  and while you can't get one THIS
year [even at the, >ahem< $98,000 price tag, the WAITING LIST for this
year is FULL] you can still apply for 2009...

When you get down to the "brass tacks" on this, it is basically a souped
up 1:1 scale version of a radio control car -- powered by 6,831 "AA"
batteries :)

Reading through the comments on one of their pages [from late november
2006], a common (and unanswerable) question was "how much will the
replacement battery pack cost?"  there is no answer /right now/ because
the rated lifetime of the pack is "5 years" -- at that point

   -- technology may have changed [dramatically] and there is "something
better/different" available (and no way of knowing the price)

   -- market economies may have changed [again, dramatically] -- this
car uses batteries you can buy now to put into your maglite flashlight.
Imagine what happens when orders for 6,000+ "batteries" are needed "per
capita" ;)

   -- they've "built in" some of the replacement cost in the initial
purchase (they fully expect you to recycle the batteries through them,
though...)  Another example of a (semi) built-in cost is that if you
live more than 100 miles from their "service facility", there is an
$8,000 fee that covers towing/transporting your car to/from the service
center (for the life of the service contract, from what I read...)

ml?page=1

Me
--
"Knowledge is Power" -- Francis Bacon