[SGVLUG] SCALE fri-sat-sun 4/8-9/10 Carpooling [and parking]

Emerson, Tom (*IC) Tom.Emerson at wbconsultant.com
Thu Feb 7 15:07:45 PST 2008

> -----Original Message----- Of matti
>
> Carpooling!
> ---------------
> "If you're in the Southern California area and are attending
> SCALE, we  recommend you carpool; the hotel parking lot fills
> up quickly." - from SCALE announce

There is a "hidden gem" in the area -- LAX has opened what they call
their "cell phone lot" -- the idea being that instead of wasting gas
"circling" the arrival gates (since you aren't allowed to "wait" at the
curb), you park there, and when your party arrives and claims their
bags, they can then call you on your cell and you pick them up right
then.

If you go to the google map of the area where SCALE is being held
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&q=5400+West+Century+Boulevard,+900
45&ie=UTF8&z=15&ll=33.946208,-118.374896&spn=0.01659,0.042744&om=1

Locate the corner of "Arbor Vitae" and "Airport Blvd", then "ZOOM" all
the way in, you'll see a (relatively) unmarked, but more importantly,
unCONTROLLED parking lot [upper left corner of that intersection]

Theoretically, you could park there for the day for free, however I
suspect they /patrol/ the area occaisionally and issue tickets for any
unattended vehicles (at least, their website says that "all vehicles
must be attended", but the time I used the lot to wait for my parents,
it was deserted -- I miscalculated the drive time and was there nearly
an hour early, and in all that time nobody ever showed up that looked
like they might be checking on cars...)

If you do risk it, you will need your walking shoes -- even though it's
only "a couple of blocks" away, these are pretty big "blocks"...

http://www.lawa.org/lax/laxWaitingLot.cfm