[SGVLUG] Cable ethernet problems

David Lawyer dave at lafn.org
Wed Dec 24 19:00:56 PST 2008

On Mon, Dec 22, 2008 at 03:46:49PM -0800, matti wrote:
> [PC/NIC]----[PC/NIC] = need a cross over cable.

I thought that the reason for this was so that one could use full
duplex.  But it's claimed that my NIC is only half-duplex where the
same channel is presumably used for transmit and receive.  Since the
crossover cable provides two pairs between pins 1-2 and 3-6 then is
only one of these pairs used?  If so, how does one side know if they
should use 1-2 or 3-6.  It can't be negotiated since on this old card
there are likely no provisions for negotiation like there are for modern
cards.
			David Lawyer