[SGVLUG] Problems with dual head with KDE 4.1

Claude Felizardo cafelizardo at gmail.com
Tue Dec 9 12:47:15 PST 2008

On Mon, Dec 8, 2008 at 7:02 PM, John E. Kreznar <jek at ininx.com> wrote:

> "Claude Felizardo" <cafelizardo at gmail.com> writes:
>
>> ... I still need to work out the left/right positions.  Why does
>> everything assume the VGA output is on the left and the DVI output
>> is on the right?  Can't find any settings to swap things.
>
> Have you tried fiddling with the "RightOf" item in the "ServerLayout"
> section in /etc/X11/xorg.conf?  Here's what it looks like in my
> current dual head setup:
>
> Section "ServerLayout"
>        Identifier     "XFree86 Configured"
>        Screen      0  "Screen0" 0 0
>        Screen      1  "Screen1" RightOf "Screen0"
>        InputDevice    "Configured Mouse" "CorePointer"
>        InputDevice    "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
> EndSection

I had been trying something like that using various example I've used
on different machines.  I
eventually got something sorta working by using aticonfig
--initial=dual-head to create an initial template and adding 'Option
"Xinerama" ' to the ServerLayout section.  Problem is the task bar
doesn't extend to the 2nd monitor and none of the KDE tools seem to
recognize it though I can drag stuff over.

Looking around, it appears that xinerama is no longer active:
   https://sourceforge.net/projects/xinerama/

Actually I just looked closely at my xorg.conf file on my default
partition and it looks like I had commented all of the xinerama stuff
out and using something called "MergedFB" with the ati drivers.  Looks
like I've been using that configuration since Nov 2007.  Tried copying
my old config over to the new partition and while it appears to load,
i just get a clone on the 2nd monitor.

claude