[SGVLUG] good free speech "spam" case

matti mathew_2000 at yahoo.com
Sun Dec 7 02:11:10 PST 2008

> Hey Matti,
>
> I'm a big proponent for free speech, but it sounds like
> she was using campus
> facilities and was not abiding by their rules.  If she had
> used an outside
> email and had spammed onto campus that might be
> different....

yes indeed she was breaking the rules,
still imho the interesting question is the
limits of free speech vs spam in this case.

Where does one draw the line?

I guess technically she could have gotten
around this by crafting a different message
for each group of 29 people...

certainly had she written letters and dropped
them in the campus mail it would have been
ok to send the same message in bulk to
everyone. ( yes, a bit old school )

typically many of the old school admins
think of spam as commercial bulk unsolicited
email. (UCE - unsolicited commercial email... )

(recall there are various ways to define spam)

still as the "soap box" and front doors (to
knock on) are more and more in the cyber world
I'm guessing we will one day see the equivalent
of "real world" supreme court cases for things
along this lines.

best
matti