[SGVLUG] A flashy little raid...

Emerson, Tom (*IC) Tom.Emerson at wbconsultant.com
Tue Dec 2 18:15:27 PST 2008

Over the weekend, I "inadvertently" stumbled onto a fairly good deal at
Fry's...

  Multi-packs of 4GB "thumb drives" at (effective) prices of < $10
apiece.

I say inadvertently because I didn't go to fry's to get them in the
first place -- I just happened to be by the aisle where they were sold
and a couple of guys were frantically looking for 4-packs of Kingston
4GB drives - I asked them if they were on sale or something, and he
said, "yeah, $27.99", so I quietly walked over to an end-cap where I had
seen a kingston 4-pack "discarded" a little earlier and nabbed it.

Then I saw the sign for PNY 5-packs of 4GB drives -- $49.99 - $10
rebate...

So...

The Kingston 4-pack ended up being about 28 dollars [$7 each]
The PNY 5-pack was $50 and a $10 mail-in rebate [effective $40, or $8
each]

And for another $10, I bought an un-powered 4-port USB 2.0 mini-hub

Now I'm setting it up as a raid-5 "device"...  (for this, the 5-pack
ends up being 4 + a spare...)

I *might* even be able to give a 5-minute talk about this at the
beginning of the next meeting...