[SGVLUG] Chumby is Linux-based

Emerson, Tom (*IC) Tom.Emerson at wbconsultant.com
Mon Aug 11 11:59:14 PDT 2008

> -----Original Message----- Of John E. Kreznar
>
> I had never heard of a "Chumby" before opening the current LA
> Weekly. It caught my eye because reading a couple random
> snippets in the two-page spread immediately made me wonder --
> could this thing be running Linux?  Well, I didn't have to
> read much further:
>
>    Duane, VP of software development, writes ... "the system is locked
>    down pretty tight -- first off, by being a Linux-based system;
>    secondly by using unmodifiable, read-only file systems; and thirdly
>    by using a sandboxed virtual machine for our application layer."
>    ... The device is open-source, which means that anyone can write
>    software for it.
[...]

Well, John, I hadn't even heard of a "chumby" until your post -- which
of course interested me enough to look it up.  Also, knowing your
general outlook on things comuter-based [and your self-problaimed lack
of a sense of humor], I was curious as to why you posted this -- my
first guess was to resolve the internal conflict about putting the words
"locked down pretty tight" and "first by being a linux-based system" in
the same sentence.  You are very vocal that things in general (and
computers in particular) should be as "open" as possible, and "locked
down" often implies a closed system.

Though I suspect here this is in the context of being "locked down" from
a security standpoint.  Owners of the boxes can, of course, modify
things to their heart's content [see the wiki pages; in particular there
are quite a few hacks based on specifically-named files being present on
a USB thumb-drive when the system is powered on]  Though I don't know if
that also means you can write your changes to the system back to the
device as a whole (due to the "read-only" filesystem -- can it be
re-mounted as read/write, or is that truly "locked down" here?)

So I'm still a little confused -- are you "singing the praises" of this
device, or consigning it to a place in the netherworld right next to
some other well-known proprietary software company?

[though The "virtual chumby" is an interesting concept -- once you get
it set up, they give you a code-snippet to include in a web page.  The
page can be as simple as

And sure enough, it will bring up an image of the device and cycle
through the "widgets" in your "channel" (until it hits a widget that
doesn't progress to the next after the time-out)]