[SGVLUG] sharepoint alternatives?

Jos Purvis purvis at melete.org
Sun Aug 10 13:40:27 PDT 2008

It depends on what you're looking for. If you're looking for a
document management system, I highly recommend KnowledgeTree: easy to
get going out of the box, simple to integrate with directory systems
like LDAP, and has a fairly powerful workflow and permissions system.

On the flip side, if you're looking for a communal content system like
a wiki, you'll be far better off with an actual wiki system like
Mediawiki or Dokuwiki. Something like Alfresco purports to bridge the
gap--and it may in theory--but I found it difficult to use in
practice. The problem with most wiki systems, of course, is that
they're not great at document management, so you may need to try one
of the commercial products or tie several things together if you're
looking for all of the above. Worth looking at use cases and
requirements before jumping in, definitely!

Good luck,

Jos