[SGVLUG] Upcoming MythTV talk...

Emerson, Tom (*IC) Tom.Emerson at wbconsultant.com
Mon Aug 4 17:04:05 PDT 2008

I think We were successful in twisting Mike's arm so that he'll give us
an updated talk on "MythTV" [next month is it?]  and normally I'd be
promoting his talk about now, however I have a slightly different reason
for writing about it this time...

While I was in Fry's the other day, though, I noticed something that
Mike may want to comment on and we may be able to get a possible
co-presenter with a corporate influence [save your boo's and hisses for
later]  On the last end-cap in the burbank store (just to the Klaatu's
left) they have some security cameras and dedicated multi-channel "DVR"s
-- what caught my attention to this was the list of features of the
QSD6209 -- "Linux Operating System"
[http://www.q-see.com/newwebsite-design%201/digiequip/QSD6209/qsd6209-fe
ature.htm]

Down the aisle are more dedicated DVR's as well as various PC cards with
4 input channels, including some from the same company -- q-see.
Unfortunately, the boxes for the PC cards do NOT mention linux support,
but I imagine these cards are very similar, if not actually included, in
the hardware based DVRs, so it stands to reason that if they are using
Linux to control the box for recording, they have drivers for their
cards...

So, the question for Mike is: are you familiar with products such as
this
[http://www.q-see.com/newwebsite-design%201/digiequip/QSPDVR04/qspdvr04.
htm] and do you know if/how well it would work in a MythTV setup

The question for the rest of you is: would you be interested in having
someone [preferrably from their technical department] come out to our
meeting to discuss the joys and headaches of using Linux in their
dedicated DVRs?  (and possibly shed light on Linux support for the cards
themselves)  Although I cannot guarantee getting someone to come to our
meeting, they are located in Anaheim, so chances are good we could get
someone from there to stop on by.  I don't expect much other than "it
works, see?" so I can't imagine them taking a full presentation time
slot, but perhaps in conjunction with Mike's talk about MythTV they
could fill an odd 10-15 minutes or so...

Thoughts?