[SGVLUG] When big medical company IT starts to get it about Linux

John E. Kreznar jek at ininx.com
Sat Aug 2 16:26:57 PDT 2008

"Matt Campbell" <dvdmatt at gmail.com> writes:

> >   Microsoft "CAMPUS"?  Strange name for a place devoted not to educating
> >   people, but to collecting rent by keeping secrets from them.

> And how is this unlike the classical definition of 'campus'?  ;)

Matt, you should know by now that I have no sense of humor! :)

It's not clear whether you are mocking the supposed function of
schools, or perversely refusing to acknowledge that Microsoft's
business is to keep their software secret.

In any case, note that the classical definitions of 'campus' certainly
do strongly favor the school-grounds sense of the word:

$ dict campus
2 definitions found

- From The Collaborative International Dictionary of English v.0.48 [gcide]:

  Campus \Cam"pus\, n. [L., a field.]
     1. The principal grounds of a college or school, between the
        buildings or within the main inclosure; as, the college
        campus.
        [1913 Webster]

     2. a college or university.
        [PJC]

     3. a division of a university with its own buildings and a
        separate faculty, especially one separated geographically
        from other divisiona, but sharing top administration with
        other units of the university; as, the Newark campus of
        Rutgers.
        [PJC]

     4. higher education considered as a whole; as, the financial
        effects of research cutbacks on the campus.
        [PJC]

     5. a business site with pleasant landscaping; as, the Squibb
        research campus at Princeton.
        [PJC]

- From WordNet (r) 3.0 (2006) [wn]:

  campus
      n 1: a field on which the buildings of a university are situated

- --
 John E. Kreznar jek at ininx.com 9F1148454619A5F08550 705961A47CC541AFEF13
 ...who won't use software he's forbidden to read ("reverse engineer").