[SGVLUG] Sweet spot for price/performance for new barebones system?

Christopher Smith x at xman.org
Wed Apr 30 00:55:14 PDT 2008

Dan Kegel wrote:
> It's that time again... I'm shopping for a new computer for
> my wife.  Usually I write a note to lula at lula.org with my
> research, but this time I wrote a web page with the notes
> instead, and am sending it here (since Lula is inactive).
> Here are my notes:
> http://kegel.com/new-computer-2008.html

If you decide to stick with the Intel route, it looks like NewEgg has a
pretty insane deal on a FoxConn motherboard right now:

http://www.newegg.com/product/product.aspx?nm_mc=AFC-TechBargains&cm_mmc=AFC-TechBargains_-NA-_-NA-_-NA&Item=N82E16813186125

$84.99 + $20 rebate, and that's a G33 chipset board, so built in
graphics and most of the trimmings. If you jump through the rebate
hoops, the effective price is like $70.

--Chris