[SGVLUG] Sweet spot for price/performance for new barebones system?

Dan Kegel dank at kegel.com
Sun Apr 27 18:03:51 PDT 2008

It's that time again... I'm shopping for a new computer for
my wife.  Usually I write a note to lula at lula.org with my
research, but this time I wrote a web page with the notes
instead, and am sending it here (since Lula is inactive).
Here are my notes:
http://kegel.com/new-computer-2008.html

My conclusion so far is that Core Duo e6550 is the
cheap-but-fast CPU to get.  It seems to be 3x faster
than my wife's current CPU (Athlon XP) without
being crushingly expensive.

I haven't looked at graphics cards yet, but she is
currently using a crappy old PCI video card, and
hopefully she can continue using it.

So, is this a good set of components, and is newegg the
way to go?  Or should I walk over to PC Club and see
if they can assemble this?
- Dan